My final "Date Night" with KOOZA!

Well yesterday marked my final "Date Night" performance with KOOZA. I spent the day with a strengthening performance choice. Last month I did the pre-show with only the help of a ticket. Let me explain. The "Obnoxious American Tourist" character has five different props. What I found over the last few years since creating this character in 2007 (2006 really cause most of the work was done in my audition in March 2006).

More props = More material easily utilized in creating a scene.

Less props = More need to improvise and actually create with less.

Doing the pre-show with only a ticket requires more effort than a cell phone and camera to distract and use to get out of situations etc.

Yesterday I did both pre-shows using zero props improvising all material. Result? I was more engaged with the audience around me and the other performers because I couldn't hide in the props. (My co-hort Jimmy pointed this out.)
Other goals I've had in the past during pre-show?

1) Cross the whole tent in the second to the last row from one end to the other. Check.
2) Avoid spot light operators from noticing me for as long as possible. Check.
3) Push aggressive guest as far as I can to stand up for myself as a comedian and let him know he's in MY house. Check.

And my usual goal...annoy as many persnickety senior citizens as possible. Double check.

And for my last Clown Magic I lap danced a nun sitting next to a priest. Check.

A large portion of both clown acts was spent by me trying to mess with the sound guy as well.
Can you feel the love?
I can.

2 shows to go!

Keep it KOOZA.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've no idea what this blog's about but whatever! Would this be the moment to ask a favour? Would you please follow:
http://alan-whiteman.blogspot.com/
I'm aiming to really piss him off by getting his followers up to 300, and I don't want him crowing over my failure! If you know of anybody else ...
Oh and he writes good newsy stuff about music, musicians, and the music industry. Lots of useful information! Have a happy ... I must be a goldfish. Love, Alec
Anonymous said…
Many times, comic actors and clowns really rely too much on props to save them, and when they lose that safety net, they really drown. A few years ago, I performed Beckett's Act Without Words, my first mime, which is basically made by the props. On the night before opening, we couldn't get access to the performance space, and the props were all inside... So I had to be a real mime for once. It's definitely a challenge, but it's also liberating. It makes you realize that you have to rely on your performance, not the props, to make the audience laugh. That's always the case, which is why so many prop-heavy peformances flop-- the cast puts their faith in the gags, and not in their own abilities. Kudos on your risk, I'm sure it paid off well.

Popular posts from this blog

What's a "Shriner"?